Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Altec 409's

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member dbale's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2007
    Posts
    140
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 409's

    Quote Originally Posted by DSauro View Post
    Cheaper by the dozen. As I recall, Altec packaged 409's 12 in a box. I used them as car speakers, along with 405's, before the "Voice Of The Highway" gear was launched.
    If you ordered 240 you got a 10% discount off cont. net in 1980.

    My first Altecs were 409s that I installed in my first car.

    I don't think they are even close to published sensitivity.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member gortnipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2008
    Posts
    244
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 409's

    Quote Originally Posted by Coelacanth View Post
    Looking for cabinet suggestions now, if you please.....

    Cheers all
    Todd recommended a 3 cu. ft. vented box - http://www.hostboard.com/forums/f700...-speakers.html

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec 409's


    Alien_Shore's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 25th, 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    750
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 409's

    Quote Originally Posted by Coelacanth View Post
    After a listen to Gortnipper's wonderful GPA 604's recently, I decided to take some baby steps and bought some Altec 409 drivers
    Coelacanth - very interesting nick name you chose there.
    I was recently at a conference where Richard Pyle gave the keynote address about his dive for NatGeo to find the Coelacanth. Very interesting! Older than dinosaurs LoL!
    - Mike

  4. #4
    Hostboard Member Coelacanth's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9th, 2013
    Posts
    44
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 409's

    Thanks for the info guys. I should probably be a bit more circumspect about how I describe things.. these 409s wont win any competitions, I am under no illusion there. I guess what I should have said is that there is a certain magic that seems to happen when occasionally you connect a cheapish driver with little or no crossover network to the business end of an amplifier with tooobs inside..

    Interestingly these units have gotten brighter and brighter since I connected them.. to the point of serious overbalance. Further suggestion that the caps have gone bad, my guess.

    Anyhow, I wasn't really looking for forever speakers in the 409's, it was more of a psychological ploy on my part to convince me that Altec is the way forward for my forever speaker project.... which I am happy to announce will be... Altec model 19 clones with GPA drivers and Zilch XO's...

    It has taken me some time to decide between a 604 based project and the 19 clones but I think I have made the right choice and am looking forward to getting under way.

    Mike, thanks for noticing the Coelacanth thing. I was fascinated by the story of its rediscovery - a living fossil. As a kid, I thought it was pronounced "coal a kanth". When I heard it pronounced properly - "seelakanth" - the odd things the word does in the mouth really appealed to me. I don't know what the correct term is for what I am describing but for all its unusuall consonant placement, it still ends up a nice word to say.. if you catch my drift. Sorry for going OT.. :-)
    Last edited by Coelacanth; September 14th, 2013 at 03:50 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member gortnipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2008
    Posts
    244
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 409's

    Quote Originally Posted by Coelacanth View Post
    which I am happy to announce will be... Altec model 19 clones with GPA drivers and Zilch XO's...
    Excellent. Did you score those horns off of Peter?

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 409's

    Quote Originally Posted by Coelacanth View Post
    My only criticism is slightly pinched or set back vocals........

    Looking for cabinet suggestions now
    These are designed for a 70 V line app, so typically ?project? vocals to the point of ?shout? if not coupled with an appropriate auto-former to one, so something?s amiss. Hooked up this way, its published response is 50-15 kHz +/- 1 dB, which considering our hearing acuity is to say ?dead flat?.

    It could be the caps and/or one tweeter and/or one woofer not working properly.

    Cab wise, its specs are typical of drivers designed for a fiberglass damped ?leaky? basket, so with a T/S max flat alignment coming in at a hefty ~51 ft^3 net/24 Hz Fb, either an OB, IB, or TL are the best options with the latter in an offset driver tower form being the most floor space efficient.

    A generic TL design routine I?ve historically used for this type driver [ultra high Qts] calcs a ~53? H x ~130? WxD with the driver down ~20? [all dims i.d.], damp to ?taste?.

    It should closely match its IB response except in a smaller net bulk and with a ~2x higher excursion limited power rating due to the amount of damping required to quell its inherent high Q ?ringing?; which will also damp down its Fs impedance somewhat, so will present an easier, more efficient load if using a high output impedance.

    Spaced up off the floor to get the driver up to the average seated ear height and placed near/at a wall, it should perform well enough for most music at a modest SPL, though of course they should ideally be high passed and let a ?sub? system handle the < 80 Hz BW.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  7. #7
    Hostboard Member Coelacanth's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9th, 2013
    Posts
    44
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 409's

    Quote Originally Posted by gortnipper View Post
    Excellent. Did you score those horns off of Peter?
    No - either he sold them or what you saw were JBL's of some flavour according to Peter.. nevertheless I am undeterred and will just have to look at importing some along with the rest of the gear. I will likely start a thread here as I get under way... I will have some questions no doubt...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    These are designed for a 70 V line app, so typically ‘project’ vocals to the point of ‘shout’ if not coupled with an appropriate auto-former to one, so something’s amiss. Hooked up this way, its published response is 50-15 kHz +/- 1 dB, which considering our hearing acuity is to say ‘dead flat’.

    It could be the caps and/or one tweeter and/or one woofer not working properly.

    Cab wise, its specs are typical of drivers designed for a fiberglass damped ‘leaky’ basket, so with a T/S max flat alignment coming in at a hefty ~51 ft^3 net/24 Hz Fb, either an OB, IB, or TL are the best options with the latter in an offset driver tower form being the most floor space efficient.

    A generic TL design routine I’ve historically used for this type driver [ultra high Qts] calcs a ~53” H x ~130” WxD with the driver down ~20” [all dims i.d.], damp to ‘taste’.

    It should closely match its IB response except in a smaller net bulk and with a ~2x higher excursion limited power rating due to the amount of damping required to quell its inherent high Q ‘ringing’; which will also damp down its Fs impedance somewhat, so will present an easier, more efficient load if using a high output impedance.

    Spaced up off the floor to get the driver up to the average seated ear height and placed near/at a wall, it should perform well enough for most music at a modest SPL, though of course they should ideally be high passed and let a ‘sub’ system handle the < 80 Hz BW.

    GM
    Many thanks GM.. will add this to the maelstrom in my head :-)

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member SD-50's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2005
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    210
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 409's

    Being following this thread and earlier today on a whim checked the local Craig's list and snapped these up this evening. Any suggestion for cap value?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec 409's


    Alien_Shore's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 25th, 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    750
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 409's

    According to the 409B spec sheet, the coax crosses over at 2kHz. Given that, I'd start with a 7 uF cap for the 1st order high pass.
    - Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.